Past UMARC Events
2018-2019 School Year
- November 2018: UMARC's Kathy Dow-Burger shared social skills interventions and strategies that help children with Autism during t he Parenting Autism Summit.
- October 2018: MAVRIC (Mixed/Augmented/Virtual Reality Innovation Conference) was held at the University of Maryland. An article about the conference was featured in the Diamondback.
- October 2018: UMD Hearing and Speech students volunteered at the Howard County Autism Society 5k walk/run at Centennial Park in Columbia, MD.
- September 2018: First Autism Support Group meeting.
2017-2018 School Year
- June 2018: PEERS School-Based Training with Elizabeth Laugeson, Psy.D.
- April 2018: Maryland Day!
- March 2018: "Transitioning to Adulthood: Questions of Parents of Teens to a Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician" with Dr. Charina Reyes, MD, FAAP.
- December 2017: "Autism and Workplace Inclusion" with Nancy Forsythe, M.A., EdS.
- October 2017: "Use of Multi-Modal Communication Strategies at Home" with Tonya Williams-Walker
- October 2017: "Self Advocacy in Transition: Embracing Neurodiversity in College and Beyond" with Reid Caplan.
- September 2017: How to Create a Video Modeling/Self Modeling Intervention for Your Child with ASD with Gulnoza Yakubova, Ph.D.
2016-2017 School Year
- June 2017: The first ever PEERS Young Adult Training with Elizabeth Laugeson, Psy.D.
- May 2017: Maryland Day!
- April 2017: "Coexisting ADHD, Autism and Anxiety" with Dan Shapiro, M.D.
- February 2017: "Autism and the Brain" with Dustin Moraczewski
- January 2017: Using Technology to Support Skill Acquisition and Independence with Gulnoza Yakubova, Ph.D
- November 2016: IEP Accommodations with Susan Barnett, M.S., OTR/L & Kathy Dow-Burger, M.A., CCC-SLP
- October 2016: Dr. Rebecca Resnik presented "Executive Functioning in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Building on strengths."
- September 2016: Learning to Kiss with author Eve Megargel, advocate for nonverbal autistic individuals & AAC & Autism Workshop, with Barbara Delsack, MSPA-CCC
2015-2016 School Year
- September 2015: An Individualized Approach to Behavior Management in Autism with area pediatrician Dr. Dan Shapiro, M.D.
- October 2015: Financial Planning for Children with Special Needs with Mark Friese, CRPC and Matthew Bogin, Special Needs Attorney
- November 2015: What Comes Next? Preparing Young Adults on the Autism Spectrum for Life with Dr. David Black, PhD, a neuropsychologist, nationally and internationally recognized autism expert and director of the Center for Assessment and Treatment & Hope Harris-Black, MSW, an accomplished child and family therapist with over 15 years of clinical experience
- December 2015: Ways Parents Can Foster their Children's Language Development with Dr. Nan Bernstein Ratner, Ed.D., CCC-SLP, F-ASHA, BRS-CLLD, UMARC Director
- April 2016: The College Planning Process for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders with Judy Bass, Certified Educational Planner
- April 2016: Maryland Day!
- May 2016: The Road Towards Independence: Living and Working with Autism with Jan Miller-Vogel & Sarah Shick from the Treatment & Learning Centers (TLC)
- June 2016: Updates on Autism Research at NIH with Audrey Thurm, Ph.D. from the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
2014-2015 School Year
- September 2014: Know Your Child; Know Yourself: Parenting with Your Child's Profile in Mind with Sarah Wayland, Ph.D.
- December 2014: Financial Planning for Children with Special Needs with Chase Phillips CSNA and Special Needs Attorney Matthew Bogin
- February 2015: Current Brain Research in Autism with Dr. Elizabeth Redcay, Ph.D.
- March 2015: Responding to Disruptive Behavior in the Home Setting with Dr. Andrew Egel, Ph.D.
- April 2015: UMARC & NSSLHA Movie Event and Guest Panel
- April 2015: Maryland Day
2013-2014 School Year
- March 2014: Supporting Functional Communication in Young Children with Autism with Vivian Sisskin, M.S., CCC-SLP
- May 2014: Accommodations for the IEP and Classroom with Kathryn Dow-Burger, M.A., CCC-SLP
"We're lucky to have UMARC so close! I've enjoyed coming to the UMARC lecture series - the topics & resources are so valuable, parent-friendly, and such a service to the local community. The speakers have been happy to answer specific questions, too."
Dufour N, Redcay E, Young L, Mavros PL, Moran JM, Triantafyllou C, Saxe R. (under review). What explains variability in brain regions associated with theory of mind in a large sample of neurotypical adults and adults with ASD?
Redcay E, Dodell-Feder D, Mavros PL, Kleiner M, Pearrow MJ, Triantafyllou C, Gabrieli JDE, Saxe R (in press). Atypical brain activation patterns during a face-to-face interactive joint attention game in adults with autism spectrum disorder. Human Brain Mapping.
Wagner JB, Hirsch SB, Vogel-Farley VK, Redcay E, Nelson CA (in press). Eye-tracking, autonomic, and electrophysiological correlates of emotional face processing in adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Redcay E, O Young D, Slevc LR, Mavros PL, Gabrieli JDE, Sinha P (2012). Gaze cues in complex, real-world scenes direct the attention of high-functioning adults with autism. Proceedings of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society
Dufour N, Redcay E, Young L, Mavros PL, Moran JM, Triantafyllou C, Saxe R (2012). What explains variability in brain regions associated with theory of mind in a large sample of neurotypical adults and adults with ASD? Proceedings of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society
Redcay E & Courchesne E (2008). Deviant patterns of fMRI brain activity in response to speech in 2-3 year old children with autism spectrum disorder. Biological Psychiatry. 64(7): 589-598.
Pierce K & Redcay E (2008) Fusiform activation in autism is a matter of "who". Biological Psychiatry. 64(7): 552-560.
Courchesne E, Pierce K, Schumann CS, Redcay E, Buckwalter J, Kennedy DP, Morgan J (2007) Mapping early brain development in autism. Neuron. 56(2):399-413.
Kennedy DP*, Redcay E*, Courchesne E (2006). Failing to deactivate: Resting functional abnormalities in autism. Proceedings of the National Academy of SciencesUSA. 103(21):8275-80.
*Authors share first authorship
Courchesne E, Redcay E, Morgan JT, Kennedy DP (2005). Autism at the beginning: Microstructural and growth abnormalities underlying the cognitive and behavioral phenotype of autism. Development and Psychopathology. 17(3):577-97.
Redcay E & Courchesne E (2005). When is the brain enlarged in autism: A Meta-analysis of all brain size reports. Biological Psychiatry. 58(1):1-9.
Courchesne E, Redcay E, Kennedy DP (2004). The autistic brain: Birth through adulthood. Current Opinion in Neurology. 17(4):489-96.
Rubin, K.H. (2003). Social problem solving and social competence. Jenison Autism Journal: Creative ideas in practice. 15-23.
Rubin, K.H. & Clark, M.L. (1983). Preschool teachers' ratings of behavioral problems: Observational, sociometric, and social-cognitive correlates. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology. 11, 273-286.